Friday, January 31, 2014

Oh, Yeah, the Game, Vol. 2

Preface: Sunday I will have my revenge on Roger Goodell. He can put the Super Bowl anywhere he wants. I'm going to Florida to watch it anyway, damn it!

A family celebration is actually why I'll be down there this weekend, a celebration whose pleasant requirements will keep me offline until Tuesday, when even the NFL Network will be sick of rehashing the game. But it's a poor pundit, even a former pundit, who won't make some effort at picking the Super Bowl.

Picking this one requires no effort at all. I did it almost a decade ago -- in principle, anyhow.

In January, 2005, I was in the media room of the Indianapolis Colts' practice facility ending a week of covering the Colts as they prepared for a playoff game against the Patriots. My colleague and pal Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star and I were idly discussing the NFL and the game when suddenly he asked me quite seriously who I thought would win.

"I'm sure there will be an NFL playoff game at some point," I answered, "where a team with a great offense beats a team with a great defense. I just don't expect to live long enough to see it."

I'm still here, and I still don't. Seattle Seahawks will be your new NFL champions on Sunday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home