Saturday, May 08, 2010

Like Sand In An Hourglass, These Are the Ballplayers Of Our Lives

Starlin Castro, called up from the minors by the Cubs, hit a home run in his first major league at-bat last night. Good for him, but that's not Castro's significant.

Starlin Castro is the first major league player born in 1990 or later.

That doesn't matter because it makes me feel old. All players make me feel old. Managers make me feel old. Being a contemporary of Charlie Manuel, well, it leaves a psychic scar. I find Castro's age significant because it represents my backdoor revenge on Father Time.

Castro is the first baseball player who can make my CHILDREN (born 1984 and 1988) feel old!

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger John Gee said...

Coming from the first high school graduating class with '90s children (and being one myself), I can attest that our arrival in college hit the grad students way harder than it did the professors.

Also, the first cohort of '90s-born pro athletes has a slightly different effect on me: they're hitting home runs while I ponder seven more years of school. At least I'll have a paying job during the summer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home