Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Good Walk Spoiled for TMZ.com

Three of my former professional colleagues, one a personal friend, one a co-worker for many years, one a columnist I've known and respected for a long time, all opined yesterday on Tiger Woods' decision to play the Masters next month. I disagreed with all of them, for various reasons. Each opinion reflected the underlying fact that Woods' psyche has become everyone else's psychodrama playground. That's a lot of societal heft to place upon the life of a freakin' pro golfer.

To dismiss the silliest opinion first, Michael Felger stated that Woods was going to play very poorly at Augusta National because lack of girls would sap his strength. This daft notion does have the virtue of complete originality, but it makes me wonder why Felger insists Tim Tebow will make a good football player.

My old pal Charles Pierce believes Tiger will tear up Augusta National and shoot rounds in the 60s because Woods has the ability to channel his anger into superior play. Leaving aside the questionable notion that anger, especially self-directed anger, can help anyone play better golf (if so, why aren't I on the Tour?), there is no evidence Woods IS angry right now. He didn't seem angry at his little confessional session last month. Weirded out, yes. Mad, no.

My soon to be former friendly acquaintance Christine Brennan of USA Today and whenever TV news does sports issues that require the, sigh, "woman's viewpoint," said that Woods' decision to play the Masters shows that his attempt to save his marriage isn't very serious, and could be "a fraud.

If Woods is faking his attempt to keep his marriage together and alter himself into a more normal person, than a month-plus in a rehab clinic in Hattiesburg, Mississippi sure is playing the long con. More seriously, Brennan is assuming facts not in evidence. How the hell does she know that Elin Woods doesn't think Woods should play the Masters, or that Woods' choice didn't come recommended by both his wife and his therapists? I don't, and I know Christine doesn't either.

This doesn't mean Brennan's opinion isn't right. But it's guessing. And it's pretty obviously guessing based on projection. That is, Brennan is thinking, "well, if I were married to Woods, I don't think I'd want him to play golf now, and I'd have told him."

Millions of people probably agree with Brennan. They're guessing, too.

My guess, based on observation of Woods, golfers, and athletes, is that outside of his sex life, Woods' psyche ain't that complex. He is a monomaniacal gifted athlete. He may WANT to save his marriage. He NEEDS to achieve in his chosen sport.

I know one person who agrees with me. A while back, Jack Nicklaus said that if Woods had the chance to play in the Masters, he would, because any golfer would. It's really just that simple.

As to how well Woods will perform in the tournament, we need not overthink that issue, either. Woods isn't recovering from surgery. His lingering wounds are between his ears, in a part of his brain he doesn't use on the golf course.

In most tournaments, when Tiger Woods shows up, he plays pretty well. It might be different at the 2010 Masters, but I'll bet the form chart, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home