Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Remembrance of Changeups Past

In 1999, the news that Pedro Martinez would be placed in the Phillies' starting rotation would have made at least one Phils fan giddy with joy.

In 2005, it would have made him pleased indeed.

It's 2009, and the fact Pedro will start tonight against the Cubs fills me with dread. I am anticipating sorrow to come from this marriage of desperate convenience, both for the Phillies and for Martinez. As a lifelong fan of the team and as a profound admirer of the pitcher Pedro was with the Red Sox, tied with Sandy Koufax for the Best I Ever Saw Award, I am sad, not anticipatory, of tonight's game.

I hope with all my might Pedro can turn in at least one decent start for the Phillies. But I don't seen any pleasant surprises in our collective future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home