Thursday, December 01, 2011

I've Grown Accustomed to His Face -- Took Less Than Six Minutes

At 5:40 this evening, the Red Sox were introducing their new manager Bobby Valentine and I was watching TV. There was a lot of overlap between these activities.

From Channels 2 to 78 on my cable box, no fewer than eight of 'em had Valentine live. Three local news broadcasts, two local cable sports networks, one local cable news network, and two of ESPN's networks. I was afraid to go any higher, but I'm sure Valentine was on one of the food networks, too. Didn't he invent some sandwich?

The Red Sox hiring a manager is news. Not that much news, however. I covered managerial hiring and firing press conferences in my day, and in neither did much information emerge. They are boilerplate rituals, pure photo ops. Eight live remotes was eight too many. A simple head shot of a grinning (does that ever stop?) Valentine at six o'clock would've done nicely, thank you.

Makes me frightened for the coverage local news might give actually newsy and surprising sports news. If Danny Ainge DOES land Chris Paul, I'd take it as a personal favor if he did it the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'll be out of town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home