Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Isn't the Phrase Political Football?

Got polled the other day. I'm old enough to live in a home with a landline phone and it's an election year, so it wasn't a complete surprise -- not at first anyway.

The automated questions started off routinely enough. Roughly how old was I, roughly how much money do I make, marriage status, and was I a Republican, Democrat or Independent. Then, all of a sudden, the inquiries shifted direction.

The next question, in fact, was "Who did I think was going to win the National League pennant?" It was followed by "How did I WANT to win the National League pennant?" Then the same two questions were asked about the American League.

OK, I know pollsters work for a wide variety of clients, and it's hard to get people to participate in polls, so maybe this was going to be a twofer, and we'd get back to economic and political questions now. Nope. Once I had stated it'd be nice if the Twins won the AL flag, the automated voice said we were done and thanked me for my time.

I've spent most of the rest of my time following the poll wondering what someone who paid big money to have this poll taken thinks a person's party affiliation has to do with their ability to handicap a pennant race. The rest of the time I've spent hoping I never find out the answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home