Friday, January 15, 2010

A Friendly Word of Advice From a Former Comrade

Dear Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti: You guys were great teammates back in the day, and I wish you well. I don't wish sports talk radio well as an institution, but it's a sports commentary gig, which is more than I've got these days, so I want you to succeed, honest.

That's why I'm giving the following heads-up. On my drive home from work today, there were at least two occasions where you asked each other questions, and your communal answer was "I don't know." That's very bad. In theory, people are listening because you do know.

It's a show prep thing. You don't ask factual questions on the air without being sure your co-host has an answer. It should be the right answer if possible. These are, after all, your own questions.

Worse, however, Michael, is the habit of yelling into the microphone for one of the staff to hit Google and come up with the information you need. They should know to do that without being told, and for God's sake, DON'T TELL THEM ON THE AIR!!!

That's a fine journalistic attitude to project. Facts are for gofers. We're beyond that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home